So for the first time ever, I’m joining this tag Beautiful People which I stumbled upon browsing through Pineapple Queen Cait’s blog. I feel like it’s a good way to get to know my protagonist in my WIP especially since I seem to be well attuned to the boys but have a hard time making her talk about herself to me.
This WIP is still very much a WIP as in sometimes, I have no idea what it’s going to end up being. But for now I can safely say it’s tentatively titled The Sleeping Prince and is a gender-bent Sleeping Beauty.
Without further ado;
1. What first inspired this character? Is there a person/actor you based them off?
Um… Actually she’s a very organic character rather like how I was as a child, before the disillusionism (it’s a word no?) of adulthood kind of nipped me in the derriere. So you could say she’s based on me, but not really. I wanted a female character, I started creating an outline and out she popped.
2. Describe their daily routine.
Before the trigger events of the story comes to pass, Ruka’s father is a merchant. He trades in the rare and wonderful spices that their home – the Kingdom of Silahn – pronounced Sil-haan but you’re welcome to butcher it how you please – and own a fleet of sky-ships, yup, ships with sails and rudders and the whole nine yards but in the sky instead of the sea. So Ruka would wake early, help her father out with regard to steering and navigation, and when they make port, she will assist her mother in trading. Born with a smart-mouth, Ruka is a very, very capable haggler. She could probably convince you to pay her for buying your stock and gift her your handsome seventeen-year-old son in gratefulness.
3. If they joined your local high school, what clique would they fit into?
Rather than fitting in, Ruka will just go and form her own clique and you will probably want to fit in with her. As a child, she was a born leader and she ruled the Crown Prince of the land with an iron fist, she’s not always a very good influence. Of course, it may have helped that Crown Prince Malik was, is and forever shall remain a chocolate coated cinnamon roll.
4. Write a list of things they merely tolerate. Ex: certain people, foods, circumstances in their lives…
- Ruka merely tolerates the Prince Regent, Nadim. She’s good with malleable people but when someone is as strong and influential as her, she doesn’t know what to do.
- Ruka merely tolerates racism. It’s because the kingdom has been plagued by it for all time, she can do little or nothing about how racist people are to each other, especially the Deva and the Naga people. But if she could, she would rip their mouths.
- Aside from all that Ruka is one of those lucky girls who have an adoring, supportive family and has been living in the freedom that they allowed. It’s only after she discovers what she is that she starts to crumble.
- Mere tolerance cannot describe her immense adoration of baked goods. She would love it if she constantly smelled like semolina rice cakes, thank you very much!
5. How do they react in awkward silences?
Most of the awkward silence around her are caused when Nadim manages to best her in a war of words. At those moments Ruka remains speechless, or tries to guffaw her way through it heartily. If all this fails, she’ll get to threatening mostly with stolen knives.
6. Can they swim? If so, how did they learn?
Ruka is the daughter of the former Captain of the Moon Guard; he protects the king. So obviously he tried his best to teach all his children the basics of life skills. While Ruka is a clumsy oaf, swimming is something she can do quite well. She can also run like a gazelle.
7. What is one major event that helped shape who they are?
Ruka is an aimless teenager right now. She’s seventeen and she’s not sure who she is or where she’s going. So it is good for her to have something to do, as in the rescue of her childhood best friend from an Eternal Sleep. There will be events in the future, in the course of her setting out to bring Prince Malik back that will help her realise just how important she is to her world. Hopefully, if I am any good, these events will shape her. 🙂
8. What things do they value most in life?
Family. Loyalty. Adventure.
9. Do they believe in giving other people second chances? Do they have any trust issues?
She was raised in a sheltered, protective, encouraging environment so yes, Ruka is very trusting, but then she starts to see how far people would go to make their gains and the atrocities mankind is capable of and she begins to believe that no one should ever be given a second chance.
10. Your character is having a rough day…what things do they do to make them happy again? Is there anyone they talk/interact with to get in a better mood?
Surprisingly, every time she bickers with Prince Nadim, she finds herself feeling much better. Even though she doesn’t trust him, thinks he’s a git and believes he will cut her throat when she’s sleeping, talking or rather fighting with Malik makes everything bearable. She needs to get a bloody hold of herself.
Well, that’s it for my attempt at this. I hope I’m doing this okay. I do realise that I need to build on Ruka’s character a whole lot more.
Until next time, this was Rukmali (Ruka) Wickram, 17, Saviour of Dude Damsels in Distress.
I would like to know your thoughts on the character, if you have time to spare.